Pacific Islands Forum statement
delivered by Pacific Islands Forum (PIF) Chair at UN and Fiji’s Permanent Representative at UN, Ambassador Satyendra Prasad
Emergency Special Session on Ukraine
28 Feb 2022
- The Pacific Islands Forum member states with presence at the United Nations in New York, register our deep alarm at the unfolding crisis in Ukraine.
- In the spirit of constructive engagement, we call on the Russian Federation, Ukraine and all parties to take every available measure to de-escalate the situation and return to the path of diplomacy in good conscience.
- We welcome the beginning of talks between the Ukrainian and Russian governments, and we call for an immediate ceasefire, safe humanitarian access to affected areas and the urgent withdrawal of military forces in accordance with internationally recognised borders.
- The actions of the Russian Federation are violations of the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Ukraine and inconsistent with the principles of the Charter of the United Nations. We call on the Russian Federation to immediately and unconditionally reverse its decision related to the status of certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions of Ukraine.
- Our Blue Pacific relies on the rules-based international order that has promoted peace among our global family for over half a century. The challenges we collectively face today are numerous and will not be overcome without peaceful dialogue. Climate Change and COVID-19 must remain at the forefront of our global efforts. Our actions must be guided by established rules and norms.
- We wish to recall the Preamble of the UN Charter to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small.
- We reaffirm the importance of the rules-based international order and the resolution of international disputes by peaceful means, respect for national sovereignty and collective action in response to unlawful challenges to national integrity and independence.
- In doing so, the PIF UN members join the widespread calls for a return to peace and dialogue in the spirit of multilateralism which the United Nations holds among its highest ideals.
CHECK AGAINST DELIVERY, Feb 28th 2022